Torö Church is a small place of worship, typical of those built in the sparsely populated archipelago parishes.
At the end of the 17th century Torö was given the right to have its own priest, following pressure from Sigrid Horn, owner of Herrhamra. Until then Torö had been part of the parish of Sorunda, but now it was necessary to built a new place of worship. The present church was probably constructed on the old foundations in 1699.
The church was damaged during the Russian assaults of 1719 and lack of money meant it was unable to be rebuilt until 1738 when funds for the restoration work had been collected by means of a national collection. The church was plastered in 1849 and the windows gained their present round-arched shape in connection with renovation work in 1880. The interior was modernised in 1930.
How to get here by car:
Follow the road signs for Nynäshamn. Once on the 73 motorway, go towards exit Älgviken. Follow the road signs for Torö/Herrhamra. The church is located on your right side. The parking lot is located on the left side.
How to get here by bus:
Take bus 852 from Nynäshamn's station and alight at "Torö kyrka".